Rockdale,TX Class of 1965
H. D. "Farmer" Maxwell
February 28, 1973
Funeral services were held here Friday for H. D. (Farmer) Maxwell, 69, whose 48 year career as an educator included 25 years in the Rockdale Public Schools and 12 years as Milam County Superintendent of Schools.
Services were at 2 P.M. at First Christian Church with Rev. Timothy Griffin of First Christian and Rev. Stewart Bell of St. John's United Methodist Church officiating. Burial was in I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Mr. Maxwell died at 8 P.M. Wednesday at Richards Hospital after a brief illness.
He served his entire career in education in Texas and retired in January, 1971 after 12 years as County School Superintendent.
He spent the previous 25 years at Rockdale High School where he was vocational agriculture teacher and FFA Advisor for 21 years and Principal for 4 years. He founded the school's voc-ag and FFA department in 1933.
Mr Maxwell grew up in Lometa, attended North Texas Normal School, now North Texas State University, and graduated from Sam Houston State and Texas A&M. He began teaching at the age of 19 and early in his career he was superintendent of Hall County School.
He was a 48-year member of the Texas State Teachers Assn. and was past-president of theTexas County School Superintendent Association.
A member of the First Christian Church of Rockdale for 10 years, he served as Deacon, Elder, Sunday School teacher and was past-president of the Christian Mens Fellowship (CMF) and the state's Christian Mens Fellowship (Disciples of Texas). At the time of his death he was President of the Rockdale Christian Association, an organization of local lay leaders and clergymen.
He served as a scoutmaster for 18 years and received the Silver Beaver award, highest honor given to an adult scout leader.
He served as Prsident of the Young Men's Business League, a forerunner to the Rockdale Chamber of Commerce and later was President of the Chamber. He helped found the South Milam County operation of the Taylor Soil Conservation District and founded a post-World War II GI Vocational School in Rockdale.
Mr. Maxwell was twice President of the Lions Club and was County Chairman of the March of Dimes and the Red Cross. He was named President of the South Milam County unit of the American Cancer Society in 1972.
He and Miss Gladys Harwell were married at McKinney on April 26, 1924. She preceded him in death. Last Jan. 9, Mr. Maxwell married Mrs. Loween Malechek.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Loween Maxwell, Rockdale; 2 sons, H. D. Maxwell of South Pasadena, Calif., and Lt. Col. Sidney Maxwell, with the U.S. Air Force in Labrador; a daughter, Mrs. Julia M. Pettigrew of Bellaire; a brother, William L. Maxwell of Lovelady; 5 sisters, Mrs. Viola Davis of Lometa, Mrs. Ernestine Badger of Snyder, Mrs. Rebecca B. Jane Umberfield of Teague, Mrs. Annie Pugh of Dallas, and Mrs. Itaska Cockerham Jr. of Sylacauga, Ala., and ten grandchildren.
Pallbearers were elders of First Christian, Bill Summers, Milford Henry, David Yount, J. D. Miller, Clifford Bartlett, and Jim Birkhead.
Honorary pallbearers, also Elders of the Church , were Garland Caffey, Weldon Henry and Henry Tyler.
Phillips & Luckey Co. of Rockdale was in charge of funeral arrangements.
Rockdale Reporter, March 8, 1973